The real estate market has evolved over the years into the financial powerhouse that it is today. Real estate in Africa remains one of the emerging markets, one that major players and stockholders spend time on.
Here are the top five books to read, if you want to be a top player in the African Real Estate market:
1. The law and practice of real estate investments trusts: with highlights of African REIT models – Hakeem Oguniran
Written by one of Nigeria’s real estate experts, this is a comprehensive text on the Law and Practice of REITS – Legal Framework, Investment Benefits, Structure and Governance, Capital Markets and Listing, and Tax Treatment of REITS. A pivotal chapter of the book deals with highlights of the major REIT Models in Africa – Nigeria, South Africa, Rwanda, and Kenya. This is a must-read for investors and individuals interested in the dynamic Nigerian real estate market and Real Estate in Africa.
2. Retire Rich Through property – Jason Lee
In this new edition of South Africa’s best-selling property book, ‘Fast-forward Your Retirement through Property’, Jason Lee provides up-to-date information on how to build a property portfolio that will allow you to take charge of your financial security for a stress-free retirement. Retire Rich through Property takes readers through every step of the property process, but goes further by focusing on finding the right deals for retirement purposes; how to negotiate and finance a property with retirement requirements in mind; and whether to hold on to or sell a property for financial gain. With myriad insider tips from a property-investment expert, this book will allow the reader to push aside reliance on state- and employer-sponsored retirement benefits and work towards a secure retirement through the property. This easily accessible guide is a must-read for first-time property purchasers and experienced investors alike who are looking to fast-forward their retirement or to retire comfortably at their chosen age. It’s a most read for Real Estate in Africa.
3. The real estate market in Ghana – Wilfred K. Anim-Odame
The Real Estate Market in Ghana’ is one book that seeks to fill the information gap on a key emerging real estate market and demystify the perception that this particular market in Ghana is opaque. Drawing on decades of experience from within the market, Dr Anim-Odame presents a detailed examination of the real estate market in Ghana and its existing regulatory framework. The book focuses on seven thematic areas – land administration, legal perspectives, market dynamics, investment potential, market competitiveness, valuation, and compensation.
4. Over 100 answers to nagging questions about real estate investment in Nigeria – Mojisola Afolayan
The book “Over 100 Answers to Nagging questions About Real Estate Investment in Nigeria” was written by a leading property expert- ESV. Mojisola Afolayan ANIVS, RSV. The motive behind the book is revealed in a simplified way- the things you need to know and can do to invest safely in real estate in Nigeria without being exhausted. Written in very simple language, you’ll find answers to your most important nagging property questions, including:
- What is real estate itself?
- Who are the real estate professionals?
- What are the different title documents?
- How do I cope with issues regarding ownership and possession?
All these and a lot more, are the questions that get addressed in the book.
5. The African-American Guide to Real Estate Investing: $30,000 in 30 Days: the Handbook & Guide Through Your First Real Estate Deal– and Beyond by Laryette Kyle Debose
In this book, the author gives readers a breakdown of how to build a successful and profitable real estate business. This step-by-step, easy-to-follow guide will show you how to make money through real estate with these easy steps:
- Buy Property with No Money Down!
- Plan and Begin the Process of Real Estate Ownership
- Know When to Hold or Sell Your Property
- Choose the Best Mortgage Deal
- Position Yourself for Wealth
- Understand Foreclosures and How They Can Work for You
- Select the best Realtor to meet Your Needs
- Find Your Ideal Property.